At Peasholm Dental Practice we try to offer an exceptional standard of care and service, but occasionally things can go wrong. In this practice we take complaints very seriously and welcome the opportunity to learn from our mistakes. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. This procedure is based on these objectives.
1. The person responsible for dealing with any complaint about the service that we provide is Emma Williamson, our Complaints Manager.
2. If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to their complaint and offer to refer him or her to Emma Williamson immediately. If Emma is not available at the time, then arrangements will be made for this to happen. The member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on.
3. If the patient complains in writing the letter or email will be passed on immediately to Emma Williamson.
4. If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
5. We will acknowledge the patient's complaint in writing, normally within three working days.
6. We will seek to investigate the complaint within ten working days or receipt to give an explanation of the circumstances that led to the complaint. If the patient does not wish to meet us, then we will attempt to talk to them on the telephone. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within ten working days we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
7. We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our investigation.
8. Proper and comprehensive records are kept of any complaint received.
9. If patients are not satisfied with the result of our procedure then a complaint may be made to:
For Private Dentistry
Dental Complaints Service
The Lansdowne Building
2 Lansdowne Road
Tel: 08456 120 540
For NHS Dentistry
The Parlimentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Tel: 0345 015 4033
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively if the patient feels unable to complain to the Practice, the complaint can be made to NHS England as the commissioner of the service. Complaints are received centrally at the call centre and they are forwarded to NYH CSU Patient Relations team. Patient Relations will then contact the Practice, share the complaint and discuss timescale for investigation and response and ask for a response in a format to share with complainant. They will also seek clinical advice as necessary. The response is signed off by the Area Team and sent to the complainant.
Contact details for NHS England
Email - email@example.com
Telephone number 0300 311 2233
By post to the Complaints Manager
PO Box 16738
For Further Advice
The General Dental Council
37 Wimpole Street
Tel: 0845 222 4141
Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else
Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have the permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable of providing this because of physical or mental illness or are a child under 16 years.